Building Services Engineer – Karin Grech Hospital
Steward’s unique health care service delivery model leverages technology, innovation, and care coordination to keep patients healthier. With a culture that prioritizes agility, resourcefulness, and continuous improvement, Steward is recognized as one of the world’s leading accountable care organizations.
Steward Health Care Malta runs 3 hospitals across the Maltese Islands: Karin Grech Hospital, St. Luke’s Hospital, and Gozo General Hospital.
We are recruiting a Full time Building Services Engineer to join our dynamic health care team at Karin Grech Hospital.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- Assisting the Facilities Management (FM) team and end users in the development of technical and performance standards, specifications, and standardization strategies for equipment, plant and infrastructure required in health facility.
- Managing FM equipment and relevant databases (e.g. specification, procurement, planning and supervising installation and commissioning, training technical staff, maintenance, testing and calibration, ensuring equipment is operated at the optimum parameters with intention to prolong the lifetime of the equipment, devising contingency plans, and decommissioning equipment in a safe and suitable manner in respect of standing regulations and the environment).
- Performing complete performance analysis on complex equipment, plant and infrastructure, and summarizing results in brief, concise and communicable terms for recommending corrective action, or developing appropriate preventive maintenance and performance assurance protocols.
- Implement process changes that permit enhanced operational capability.
- Supervising the FM Services when performed by others, and supervising and coordinating activities related to the upkeep of the building, plant and equipment with the ultimate aim that operations are carried out safely and according to deadlines.
- Ensuring Operations are done in a safe and traceable manner, and applying the relevant codes and standards related to the health environment, safety and performance assurance activities.
- Preparing and analyzing FM reports to monitor department activity, and managing and organizing the department or institution to implement them.
- Being responsible for obtaining the engineering specifications (system definition) for custom systems that are not commercially available.
- Supervising, training, and coordinating FM staff on codes and standards and on preventive maintenance, performance assurance, corrective repairs, and modification requirements on new and existing plant, equipment and infrastructure.
- Supervising supply and procurement activities for equipment, consumables, accessories, spare parts, and FM materials, and develops corresponding policies and procedures.
- Communicating orally and in writing with medical, administrative, managerial, as well as maintenance professionals. Developing written procedures and recommendations for administrative and technical personnel.
- Setting department or institutional goals and developing budgets and policy.
- Develop FM checklists and schedules and train staff in their execution.
- Provide expert advice in building services and systems.
- Specify requirements for FM services and complex building services plant and equipment.
- Manage defects liabilities and warranties of equipment and projects
- Manage FM Projects.
- Draft and manage FM services, supplies and works contracts
- Keeping abreast with relevant changes in standards, best practices and applicable regulations.
- Performing any other duties according to exigencies as directed by the Head of Facilities Management.
The selected candidate should have:
- MQF level 6 or higher in construction, engineering, building services or similar.
- Knowledge of raw materials, tools, machines, relevant software and techniques related to building/construction services.
- Knowledge of building regulations.
- Knowledge of health and safety regulations.
- Strong knowledge of English and Maltese languages.
Work experience and knowledge:
- 2+ years of work experience in building services or similar.
- Prior experience in a supervisory or leadership position would be considered an asset.
Physical Requirements/Working conditions:
- Exposure to moving mechanical parts and outdoor weather conditions.
- Work in proximity of live electrical distribution boards and equipment
- Moderate noise level.
- Must be able to sit, stand, walk, bend, squat, crawl and climb for prolonged periods.
- Ability to push and pull and carry objects up to 30 kg.
For further information about the vacancy and how to apply for this position, interested candidates can contact the HR Department on: email@example.com by quoting the position title in the email subject field.
The closing date for submitting applications for this position is the 10th August, 2022.