Building Services Engineer – Karin Grech Hospital
Steward’s unique health care service delivery model leverages technology, innovation, and care coordination to keep patients healthier. With a culture that prioritizes agility, resourcefulness, and continuous improvement, Steward is recognized as one of the world’s leading accountable care organizations.
Steward Health Care Malta runs 3 hospitals across the Maltese Islands: Karin Grech Hospital, St. Luke’s Hospital, and Gozo General Hospital.
We are recruiting a Full-time Building Services Engineer to join our dynamic team at Karin Grech Hospital.
In this role you will be a responsible in supporting the management function of the hospital’s Engineering, Maintenance and Projects section whilst ensuring the upkeep of our infrastructure and assets. Together with the Head of Engineering and Maintenance, you will provide expert advise and ensure the provision of the best possible healthcare service in an efficient manner.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
The duties and responsibilities of the Building Service Engineer shall include:
- Working with the Engineering and Maintenance team and the end users in the development of technical and performance standards, specifications, and standardization strategies for equipment, plant and infrastructure required for the facilities managed by Steward Healthcare;
- Identify equipment and infrastructural needs, drawing up specifications, draft relevant contract schedules, evaluating offers, planning and supervising the installation, testing and commissioning, training technical staff to maintain and operate the equipment;
- Manage equipment and infrastructure operation and maintenance, drawing up PPM schedules, ensuring that the required maintenance is performed, ensuring that equipment is operated at the optimum parameters, efficiently and with intention to prolong the lifetime of the equipment. At end of life, decommissioning equipment in a safe and suitable manner in respect of standing regulations and the environment;
- Devising contingency plans to ensure that critical plant and equipment are kept available and operational all the time;
- Ensuring Operations are done in a safe and traceable manner;
- Carrying out complete performance analysis on complex equipment, plant and infrastructure; Summarizing results in brief, concise and communicable terms for purposes of recommending corrective action, or developing appropriate preventive maintenance and performance assurance protocols;
- Designing and implementing modifications that permit enhanced operational capability. Supervising the maintenance or modification when performed by others;
- Applying the relevant codes and standards related to the health environment, safety, and performance assurance activities;
- Being responsible for obtaining the engineering specifications (system definition) for custom systems that are not commercially available;
- Supervising, training, and coordinating in-service technologists, technicians, and craftspeople on codes and standards and on preventive maintenance, performance assurance, corrective repairs, and modification requirements on new and existing plant, equipment and infrastructure;
- Supervising supply and procurement activities for equipment, consumables, accessories, spare parts, and maintenance materials, and develops corresponding policies and procedures;
- Setting department or institutional goals and developing budgets and policy, managing the equipment database, preparing and analysing management reports to monitor department activity, and managing and organizing the department or institution to implement them;
- Communicating orally and in writing with medical, administrative, managerial, as well as maintenance professionals. Developing written procedures and recommendations for administrative and technical personnel;
- Supervising and coordinating activities related to the upkeep of plant and equipment with the ultimate aim that the clinical operations are maintained in operation in a safe manner;
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with contract requirements on electrical and mechanical work carried out by the contractor;
- To draft project proposals and plans;
- Identify and rationalise end-user needs in line with established policies.
- Prepare estimates for establishing the budget required for projects and initiatives;
- Implement projects within established scope, cost, time, quality, risks and benefits.
- To maintain project schedule by monitoring project progress; coordinating activities and resolving problems;
- Checking for component clashes/ infrastructure coordination.
- Project Reporting
- To review and approve contractor submittals, resolve technical issues arising and ensure compliance with contract requirements;
- To perform or supervise QC & QS functions on Projects;
- Carrying out any other duties according to exigencies as directed by the Head of Engineering and Maintenance.
The selected candidate should:
- Be in possession of a Degree at MQRIC Level 6 or higher in Mechanical, Electrical or Building Services.
- Minimum of two years’ experience practicing as a professional engineer.
- In possession of the engineering warrant.
- Possess strong management, planning, organizational, and analytical skills.
- Apply the relevant codes and standards related to the health environment, safety, and performance assurance activities.
- Be a good communicator (verbal and written)
- Be a strong team player and able to work on own initiative and without supervision
- Have a flexible and can-do attitude
For further information about the vacancy and how to apply for this position, interested candidates can contact the HR Department on: firstname.lastname@example.org by quoting the position title in the email subject field.
The closing date for submitting applications for this position is the 23rd July, 2021.